Founded in 1850
First Lutheran Church of Galveston continues to
serve the needs of the people of the Galveston area,
a place where people can find the
compassion and acceptance of Jesus.
2415 Ave G
Galveston, Texas 77550
“Where two or three are gathered in my name, I am there among them.”
(Jesus, Matthew 18:20)
Welcome To First -
A Great Galveston Church!
There’s a lot to research on the web. Right now you could be searching for a great new recipe. Or looking up the tide chart for Galveston. Or looking at cute puppy pictures available for adoption.
Yet you are here. Which means you are likely interested in, or seeking something God-related in your life here on Galveston Island.
Whether you have questions or doubts (we all have questions and doubts) - we are pleased that you are here and we trust you will find First Lutheran Church in Galveston to be a welcoming place to explore and connect. We all start somewhere – why not here?
As a Galveston community of individuals and families, we share the journey of life. Together, we take this journey - sharing both the joys and sorrows – and, yes, we share in the questions and doubts as well. We are a diverse, yet welcoming congregation - eager to have YOU join with us. We trust that you will. And we look forward to welcoming you "home" to Galveston's historic First Lutheran Church.
We're Glad You're Here!
Reverend Richard Rhoades
First Lutheran Church in Galveston
Contemporary Worship: Saturday 5:30 p.m.
Traditional Worship: Sunday 10:00 a.m.
Sunday School for all ages: 8:45 a.m.
Remembering Our Roots
“So then, brothers and sisters, stand firm and hold fast to the traditions that you were taught by us, either by word of mouth or by letter.”
(St. Paul, 2 Thessalonians 2:15)
We ALL have roots to remember! Each of us has a story to tell.
First Lutheran Church in Galveston has a rich and long history. In fact, we are one of the oldest continuous Lutheran congregations in Texas! Our Lyceum of Galveston has been recognized as a “center of culture” in Galveston since 1850 and today is available to the general public as a beautiful setting for weddings and special events. Our history is comprised of every day men and women who have told - and continue to tell their "story" - about living their lives as children of God.
Today, our congregation is comprised of members whose diverse backgrounds, traditions and roots continue to bring strength to our ability to tell God's "story" and to help us help those in need. Remembering our roots enhances our ability to create new "stories" of life and faith as we journey forward.
Regardless of what your "story" is and regardless of where you are right now with your personal life and beliefs … we welcome you to join with us here at Galveston Island's historic First Lutheran Church.
Is God "stirring" in your life? If so, what is God saying? Come share with us your "story" and share your traditions and roots. Join us as we share who we are with open minds and hearts - and filled with a sincere humility that we have all been created in God's image.
Frequently Asked Questions
What do Lutherans believe?
• Believe in personal, triune God—Father (Creator), Son (Redeemer), and Holy Spirit (Sanctifier).
• Accept the Bible as the written witness to God’s revelation of his saving action through Jesus Christ.
• Salvation by grace through faith in Christ is taught. People are saved by God’s love as revealed in Jesus.
• Accept the historic creeds as definitions and summaries of biblical truth.
• Believe the church lives to preach the Gospel and celebrate the sacraments, giving its followers strength for service in the world.
• Christian life is a continual growth in forgiveness and grace, but perfection is never completed in this life.
What sacraments do you practice?
Lutherans practice two sacraments: Baptism and Holy Communion as God’s physical and personal means of conveying God’s grace. Unbaptized adults are baptized, but infant baptism is the usual practice. The baptized Christian lives in the covenant of his or her Baptism, dying daily to sin and rising again by faith in Christ. The real presence of Christ is affirmed in Holy Communion.
How do I become a member?
1. Establish a record of worship attendance.
2. Speak to the Pastor about your interest in membership.
3. New members are received in groups (classes) three to four times a year.
4. Church membership implies a commitment and a willingness to worship, give, and serve to the best of one’s ability.
For more information, please contact us!
What is your worship style like?
• Worship style is liturgical, following the classic traditions and services of the Western church. Preaching of the Word and celebration of the Sacrament of Holy Communion are the main points of focus at worship. Corporate worship is a celebration of God’s grace and a profession of faith by the believer.
• Churches are ordered through interdependent congregational, regional, national, and global expressions of the church characterized by democratic decision-making, strong ecumenical relationships, elected leadership, and an ordained ministry.
We Invite You
To come worship, visit, and enjoy a meal and fellowship!
Online Giving For First Lutheran Church
More than 157 years ago, God called a small group of people in Galveston, Texas, to witness and minister in Christ's name to this port city on the Gulf of Mexico.
A few faithful people planted and nurtured seeds that grew into what First Evangelical Lutheran Church is today.
Throughout the generations, people of faith and hope have responded to God's call and have overcome many obstacles to erect buildings for ministry to allow people to meet, share, and bolster their faith in God.
Visit Our Related Websites:
History and Archives of First Lutheran
- Take a Virtual Tour Our Church!
- View Photos and Videos of Stained Glass Windows!
- View Historical Photos, Books, and Documents
- Ledger of Baptisms, Marriages, Confirmations since 1850!
- Video Interviews and Documentaries
Fanfare Lutheran Music Academy
Our mission is to provide high-quality, low-cost music, art, and drama classes to Galveston-area youth, and provide a loving, God-honoring environment that nurtures children in their development.
Learn about classes offered in Art, Music, and Drama and see our upcoming events!
Galveston Island Oktoberfest
Island Oktoberfest is held annually each year on the 3rd weekend in October. Festival goers enjoy authentic German food and libations, German pastries, a shopping venue for quality hand-crafted gift items in The Lyceum, an exciting live auction and raffle, Cake Wheel, fun, a variety of children's activities and so much more!
Don't Just Follow Us - Walk With Us!
We are active in the greater Galveston community throughout the year
with a wide variety of neighborhood projects!
"Follow God’s example, therefore,
as dearly loved children and walk in the way of love,
just as Christ loved us and gave himself up
for us as a fragrant offering and sacrifice to God."
- Ephesians 5:1
2415 Ave G
Galveston, Texas 77550