Feed Galveston is a mission to help the hungry in Galveston County.
Our last food packaging event was September 11, 2016. We will announce the next packaging event date here as soon as it becomes known.
Donations are also being requested. Donate with cash or check in your weekly offering, designating it for #FeedGalveston or using online giving through our church website designating #FeedGalveston.
For those of you who are able, we have placed a box in the Narthex and ask that every week you drop $1.00 in the box. That one dollar will purchase 4 meals.
Matching Grant From Galveston Kiwanis
Mary Bentz, President of Galveston Kiwanis, presents Rev. Richard Rhoades and George Black with a $500 matching grant to support the #FeedGalveston project on September 11. 20,000+ meals will be packaged to distribute to food banks in Galveston. Kiwanians and Congregants and other volunteers will package the meals. Volunteers are invited to participate. Call 409-762-8477 for more information.
Food Insecurity and Hunger
• Food insecurity is defined as “families who are unable to consistently access adequate amounts of nutritious food necessary for a healthy life.”
* Texas Department of Agriculture
• Hunger is defined as “the uneasy or painful sensation caused by a lack of food.”
* Food, Research, and Action Center (FRAC)
• Approximately 35.5 million Americans are food insecure
* Feeding America
• Texas has 1.3 million food insecure households (more than 3 million people) which is the third highest in the Nation.
* Center for Public Policy Priorities
• Texas has the seventh-highest rate of hunger at 5.1% of households in the United States.
• The USDA estimates 96 billion pounds of food are wasted each year in the United States.
Feeding Texas reports:
18.1% of people are food insecure. (53,460 individuals)
24.9 % of children live in these same homes (18,390 children)
WHAT CAN YOU DO?
Join us as we #FeedGalveston !
25 cents feeds a child, $1 feels a family of 4. Money raised turns into people fed. Donations of all sizes help feed our hungry neighbors!
At an average of 160 meals packaged per hour, we need hands to make this happen!
This is God’s Work. Our Hands! A way to make a difference.
Once packaged, the meals are given to local food banks serving Galveston County for no charge!
Partnering with End Hunger NE and Outreach we can provide nutritious meals for those who otherwise will go hungry. Partnering with the local food banks we are connected with a systematic process that gets food to those who need it most. Partnering – we can make a difference!
What can you do?
Donate – Serve – Receive
Check Out These Resources
Be sure and follow us on Twitter at #FEEDGALVESTON